CAREERS AND VOLUNTEERING
How you can get involved.
The odds facing children and youth in child welfare are startling. Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada believes we can – and must – do better for our young people.
If you agree, join our team.
Every day we work tirelessly to help our young people create a brighter future for themselves. Our staff and volunteers are a critical part of our mission and help us build a movement of Canadians dedicated to improving the lives of vulnerable young people.
Thank you for you interest in working with Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada.
Position: Senior Manager, Finance and Database
Permanent, full time
Department: Finance and Administration
Reports to: Senior Director, Finance and Administration
About the Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada
The Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada is a national fundraising organization committed to improving the lives of vulnerable children in Canada. Within our four pillars of prevention, enrichment, education and healing and recovery we fund numerous programs through child welfare organizations across the country. Our initiatives meet the immediate and urgent needs of at risk children and youth, and afford them a brighter future that, ultimately, strengthens our communities. With more than 300,000 children at risk of abuse and neglect in Canada, our support is critical in giving them hope, confidence and opportunity.
The Foundation is a dynamic and growing organization committed to the long term growth and stability of funding for child welfare programs across the country. Our staff members are a highly committed team of professionals who are dedicated to delivering excellence and maximizing the social value of donations and volunteer contributions to child welfare in Canada.
Purpose of the Position
The effectiveness, accuracy and use of the donor database and financial systems are essential and are significant components to the success of the Foundation’s management. The main purposes of the Senior Manager, Finance and Database position are to provide leadership to financial and data management ensuring meaningful information is available and maintained for decision making, performance measurement, compliance, reconciliation and taxation. This position will work closely with the Senior Management Team to help the organization meet its overall goals and build capacity for the organization to expand its reach and impact.
Overall responsibilities of this position include:
- To manage the operations of the finance department, ensuring an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department’s and organization’s goals and objectives
- To lead and manage the data integrity, functionality of and reporting from the Financial Edge (FE) Accounting System and Raiser’s Edge (RE) database, the Foundation’s main information source of donor/prospect activity and gift acknowledgement and receipting,
- To proactively architect and maximize the use of RE to support the Foundation’s growth objectives
- To oversee the Foundation’s online fundraising platforms and data/donations integration into RE and FE and GIFTS (CAFC’s granting software database)
Key Responsibilities include the following:
- Supervise Finance Officer, Finance Clerk and Database Administrator position. Ensure each position’s reporting and gift entry responsibilities are managed with accuracy and the position has a service-oriented approach. Coach, train and supervise the incumbents to encourage success in the position.
- Establish and maintain internal controls to ensure compliance with financial policies and procedures
- Develop the functionality of the RE database to enhance fundraising efforts. Work closely with the Senior Director, Finance & Administration and the Database Administrator to develop guidelines for users to adhere to.
- Work with the Database Administrator and Development team to ensure guidelines are implemented and adhered to
- Use software tools to produce reports to meet the needs of the Foundation team, including management, the Board, and other external parties, as required.
- Oversee the use of the RE database, according to established guidelines, by adding codes as required, ensuring all codes correspond with FE and GIFTS.
- Perform financial activities related to the issuance of monthly financial statements, which include:
- Approving and confirming all journal entries
- Developing and maintaining timely and accurate financial statements and reports that are appropriate for all stakeholders/users and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Develop, implement and ensure compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures
- Lead and manage the annual audit, ensuring an effective and smooth process.
- Prepare annual Charity Information Return (T3010) ensuring timely submission
- Prepare all documents for any potential Canada Revenue Agency audit
- Provide leadership in managing endowment funds, ensure all policies related to funds are adhered to
- Ensure annual donor reports are prepared accurately for Endowment Fund donors
- Support the Management team in the preparation of annual budgets
- Lead budget process in GIFTS, ensuring grant budgets are adhered to
- Support the Management team with year-end annual forecasting, including providing oversight and producing variance reports
- Lead/convene an internal RE user group to develop coding structure, policies, operations and procedures manuals.
- Manage day-to-day administration of estates, by reviewing accounts, recording relevant information in Raiser’s Edge and providing status and statistical reports to Director.
- Support the Finance and Audit, and Investment volunteer committees and participating in all meetings
- As the Foundation is a fundraising organization, participate in certain foundation events.
- Other duties as required.
Competencies and Skills
- Must be very detail-oriented with excellent analytical skills.
- Must be solution-driven with a constant desire to make things more effective and efficient.
- Service-oriented and professional with all levels of staff and external stakeholders.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Excellent organization and coordination skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strategic thinker
- Goal setting and achievement oriented
- A Canadian accounting designation, ie. CPA
- University degree
- A minimum of 5-7 years progressive experience with donor databases, financial systems and spreadsheet software, preferably with Raiser’s Edge, Crystal Reports, Financial Edge, and Excel, including supervisory experience
- Experience with GIFTS Database a bonus
- Must have a good understanding of CRA guidelines for income tax receipting and have experience advising fundraising staff, volunteers and donors on CRA Receipting Guidelines and best practices
- Able to manage competing deadlines
Hours of work
- Occasional evenings and weekends during busy periods
- Vacation restrictions during busy periods
Please forward a current resume by Friday, December 1, 2017, with covering letter in one single document, detailing how your qualifications match this opportunity, to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Finance2017” in the subject line of your email.
We thank all candidates for their interest in the work of Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada; but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.
Donate your time and become a volunteer for The Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada!
We offer a variety of volunteer opportunities at our special events as well as in our office during regular office hours. We encourage you to connect with us to determine the best way to volunteer your time.
Volunteering is an enriching experience in so many ways. When you become part of our team, you have an opportunity to:
- support a cause you truly believe in
- apply your current skills and gain some new ones
- meet new people, make new friends and develop professional contacts
- feel the personal satisfaction of helping others
- make a difference in your own community
Volunteer to improve the lives of disadvantaged children across the country. Just think of the difference you can make by becoming a Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada volunteer. There are many possibilities! With opportunities to suit everyone, here are the ways you can be involved:
Volunteer at Special Events
As a Special Event Volunteer, you will provide assistance in the areas of event preparation and execution. Support us to raise awareness, dollars and much needed support for the children and youth of Canada, while having fun!
Volunteer at the Office
As a Office Volunteer, you will provide administrative support at our downtown Toronto office during our regular office hours (Monday to Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm). Volunteers will assist in general clerical support such as data entry, filing, photocopying, researching, mail outs and other duties depending on the time of year.
If you are interested in volunteering at our office, please fill out the Volunteer Application Form.
Corporate Volunteer Opportunities
We offer our corporate partners a variety of group volunteer opportunities at our special events as well as during holiday season:
- Children’s Aid Foundation Gala – Teddy Bear Affair
- Fill the Sleigh Donation Drop-Offs
- Holiday Season Celebration
- Women’s Golf Classic Tournament
- Joe Carter Classic Golf Tournament
We work closely with our corporate partners to ensure the best volunteer experience for their employees.
Group Volunteer Opportunities in Your Own Space
Perfect for corporate team building, schools or community groups, Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada is proud to partner with Kits for a Cause by Bargains Group. The kit packing experts at Bargains Group will work with your team’s numbers and budget to custom design a kit building event for 5-500 to benefit the children and youth served by the Foundation. Your group’s support could provide a local child with essential school supplies to help them succeed in school or household goods to help set up a youth’s first apartment.
Please click here for more information.
For information on volunteering behind-the-scenes at Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada events or at our office, please contact Katharine Chen at email@example.com.