The Children’s Aid Foundation is Canada’s leading national charity dedicated to improving the lives of children and youth in the child welfare system. With the support of our generous donors, we provide access to the opportunities these children need to reach their potential against all odds. Last year, we delivered a wide range of high-impact programs and services, transforming the lives of over 23,000 children and youth. All children have the right to become healthy, contributing members of society. Our kids need your help to get there.
They depend on us. We depend on you. Join us and help Canada’s most vulnerable kids break the cycle and define a vision for themselves of a successful future.
The Foundation has an ambitious agenda for growth and is in the midst of the National Campaign for Child Welfare, a $60-million campaign to catalyze change for Canada’s most vulnerable youth – those who have experienced abuse, abandonment, and neglect. Together, we can help them overcome their trauma, develop their potential, and break the cycle for future generations.
Our staff members are a dynamic and highly committed team of professionals who are dedicated to delivering excellence and maximizing the social value of donations and volunteer contributions to child welfare in Canada.
Senior Manager, Strategic Communications
Reports to: VP Marketing & Community Engagement
Purpose of the Position
The Senior Manager, Strategic Communications plays an active role in brand development, stakeholder engagement, donor communications, and thought leadership, considering a wide range of stakeholders including: donors/prospects, volunteers, agency partners, media, government and the public at large. Reporting to the Vice President, Marketing & Community Engagement, the Senior Manager is responsible for the implementation of the Foundation’s strategic/corporate communications, public engagement and marketing communications activities, and will provide strategic communications support to the Development team in the creation of highly motivating donor cultivation and stewardship communications. This role will work collaboratively with a cross functional team (including Grants & Programs, Finance, Development, Marketing and Community Development) as well as manage key external service providers (including creative agencies, freelance writers and graphic designers, printers etc.), in support of abused, neglected and vulnerable children and youth across Canada. The ideal candidate is an experienced corporate communications professional with strong writing and editing skills, experienced in writing persuasive sales materials /donor cultivation/direct mail and a strategic and creative thinker.
▪ Strategic Communications, Thought Leadership and Organizational Reputation
o With the VP, participate in the development and execution of annual and long term strategic marketing communications plan to deliver on the revenue, mission delivery and thought-leadership priorities of the Foundation.
o Responsible for the creation and dissemination of key message documents, FAQs and standard responses to internal stakeholders including staff, volunteers and Board.
o Prepare and/or edit presentations, letters, speeches and notes for CEO and other senior leadership/Board
o Contribute to the management of the organization’s reputation, including a pro-active thought-leadership strategy, speaking opportunities, media releases and events, corporate awards and issues management.
o Lead the creation and publishing of marquee/public facing Foundation publications including Annual Report, Research and Evaluation White Papers, Fund Reports, Donor Newsletters etc.
o In collaboration with Marketing and Community Development team, develop highly motivating direct marketing campaigns that deliver on fundraising and awareness/engagement goals.
o Lead the Foundation’s editorial calendar and content plan, with support from the Manager, Marketing & Digital and Content Coordinator/Writer.
▪ Develop high impact communication strategies within the content calendar that will deliver the annual plan KPIs
▪ Plan and execute monthly and quarterly content across multi-channels including: blog, e-newsletter, web, direct mail, donor stewardship communications Provide support and mentorship for the Content Coordinator/Writer in the creation of the above
▪ Interface with donors, volunteers, staff and agency partners to gather stories, interviews and experiences to leverage in Foundation content
▪ Collaborate with a cross-functional team to build and maintain Content library, establish processes to support this key internal resource
o Provide ongoing monitoring of all communications activities through measurement and analysis to understand effectiveness and ROI; provide recommendations as needed to achieve goals; update Marcom KPI dashboard and provide reporting.
▪ Donor Cultivation & Stewardship – Major Gift Proposal ,Case for Support Writing and Donor Stewardship Communications
o Work in close partnership with the Development and the Grants team to create highly motivating custom proposals, cases for support and donor stewardship communications aligned to the overall Foundation brand narrative.
▪ Responsible for the creation and maintenance of the Foundation’s “self-serve” proposal template library, including but not limited to key message, boiler plate, case studies, graphic design elements, for use by Development Officers to create custom proposals.
▪ Play a contributing role in the cross-functional team development of Major Gift/Transformation Gift proposals, specifically in the areas of brand narrative, graphic design and publishing.
▪ Provide counsel and support to the Development team in the creation and publishing of high quality, high impact Donor Stewardship Reports.
▪ Brand Stewardship
o Responsible for implementing brand and style guidelines to ensure the brand is being represented in a clear and consistent manner across all internal and external facing applications as well as by donors, supporters and volunteers.
o In partnership with Marketing, develop and maintain brand templates, logo suites, brand playbook and style guides.
o Provide training and support to new staff and external partners
o In partnership with the VP and the Development team, negotiate and manage external vendor, supplier contracts, agency relationships and pro bono/donor/volunteer relationships
o Participate in departmental budget tracking and reporting, in line with organizational timelines and requirements.
o Participate in annual performance management, team and individual goal setting, management and tracking
o Other duties as required.
▪ 7+ years experience in public affairs and/or journalism and/or corporate and/or marketing communications
▪ Post-secondary diploma or degree in related field or relevant experience
▪ Previous experience working in not-for-profit, social services or related field would be preferred but not mandatory
▪ Experience writing on complex topics for a variety of audiences
▪ Experience interacting with senior level, C-suite team members and senior volunteers/Board
▪ Experienced in corporate communications, strong editing and storytelling
▪ Experienced writing for a wide variety of audiences including mass market, major gift donors/prospects and funders
▪ Solid understanding of Canadian Press Style Guide
▪ Superior knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and desktop publishing skills
Skills and Abilities:
▪ A proven creative and strategic thinker with the ability to bring the organization’s key strategic priorities to life in a high quality, impactful and efficient way.
▪ Strong collaboration and consultation abilities to best understand the full picture – including business objectives, budgets, timelines, project/donor specific requirements.
▪ Comfortable setting/negotiating priorities with a cross functional team
▪ Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress an asset
▪ Ability to translate technical information into engaging & creative story telling
▪ Superior editing, research and fact checking skills
▪ Excellent time management and organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple projects and priorities concurrently
▪ Creative problem solver, curious, pro-active, collaborative
▪ Goal setting and achievement oriented
▪ Interest in child rights, social justice
Scope and Nature of Accountability:
• Position is required to exercise independent judgment on a regular basis in resolving complex issues
• Position makes decisions from a range of options and may at times be required to develop creative solutions within own work areas
• Creativity is required in contributing to the development of new programs, methods, approaches as a member of the team.
• Position participates in the planning of program/initiative development, implementation as a member of a team
• Recommends policy to senior management, implements approved policy and ensures adherence
• Position requires collaboration at all levels and across business team(s) and will be called on to provide their communications advice/expertise, in particular in the donor acquisition/stewardship arena
• 1 direct report – Communications Coordinator/Writer (responsible to Marketing & Digital Manager)
• Provide support/counsel to Development Officer, Stewardship
Key Internal and External Contacts:
Major Internal Contacts
Marketing Communications team
Development teams (Major Gift, Community and Events)
Grants & Programs team
Major External Contacts
Print production and video production partners
Youth, board members, child welfare agency partners
Hours of work
• Regular office hours: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
• Occasional evenings and weekends during busy periods
• Vacation restrictions during busy periods
If you would like to apply for this role, please send a cover letter, writing samples and a current resume listing your qualifications and experience to Enza DiBenedetto (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than August 25, 2017. Please quote “COMMS2017” in the subject line of your e-mail. Please note: applicants will only be contacted if an interview is being requested.