Today marks the Children’s Aid Foundation’s 35th anniversary! Founded in 1979 under the name of “The Children’s Aid Society of Metropolitan Toronto Foundation”, we granted approximately $49,400 for six programs during our first year of operation. With the hard work and dedication of all of our staff, volunteers, and donors we have impacted so many young lives and continue to expand our reach. We simply cannot wait to see what the next 35 years have in store!
What else was happening in 1979?…
- Hit board game Trivial Pursuit is invented by Canadians Chris Haney and Scott Abbott
- Margaret Thatcher is elected as the first female prime minister of Great Britain
- Hockey star Wayne Gretzky scores his first NHL goal
- Mother Teresa is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize
- Patrick Swayze makes his film debut in Skatetown, U.S.A.