REMEMBER US IN YOUR WILL
Let standing up for kids be your legacy.
All children have the right to grow, thrive, and lead happy, healthy lives. But children and youth in the child welfare system need your help to get there.
By remembering Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada in your will, your generosity will provide generations of children and youth who have experienced trauma, abuse, and neglect with the supports they need to help them achieve their greatest potential.
Join our Stand Up for Kids Legacy Society today to be part of our national public movement that unites caring Canadians in support of kids who have experienced the child welfare system.
Your legacy will improve outcomes for young people and families right across the country.
Your gift will help build a stronger Canada by supporting the success of our nation’s most vulnerable children and youth. Here are a few of the ways you can remember Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada through your legacy gift:
- A gift in your will. Leaving a gift in your will is a simple and impactful way to make a difference long into the future.
- Gifts of Life Insurance. You can use an existing policy to make a donation.
- Gifts of RRSP/RRIF Funds. You can include Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada as a beneficiary of your RRSP or RRIF.
We always recommend speaking with a financial advisor or lawyer before setting up a legacy gift.
Want to ensure that the greatest needs of vulnerable young people and families can be met at any given time? We recommend that all or a portion of your gift be undesignated. This provides flexibility to Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada and our partner agencies to address the most urgent needs of the children and youth we serve, much like a parent would.
Start building your legacy
Join our Stand Up for Kids Legacy Society. Confirm a future gift in your will by completing our Bequest Confirmation form.
For more information about leaving a gift in your will, please contact Jane Durno at (416) 923-0924 x232 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Your bequest will lessen your estate’s taxes upon your passing, which will leave more of your estate to be shared by your beneficiaries. Your estate will receive a tax receipt for the amount of your gift and has the potential to reduce taxes in the final return by up to 100% of your income in the year of death.
Additionally, a tax receipt for the value of your bequest will assist in offsetting any tax on capital gains that your estate may have from capital assets such as real estate or securities if these assets have increased in value during your lifetime.
Through your support of the Stand Up for Kids movement, you will help to permanently change the lives of present or future generations of vulnerable young Canadians by creating access to the resources and opportunities they need to heal, thrive and overcome the barriers they face.
When you confirm a future gift through your will, you will be recognized as a Stand Up for Kids Legacy Society member and will receive the following benefits:
- Recognition in Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada’s annual donor listings
- Receipt of our bi-monthly newsletter
- Invitations to Foundation events that will highlight how your support is having an impact on Canadian children and youth who have experienced trauma
Note: You may also choose to be an anonymous donor and not be recognized however we would appreciate knowing that you have made a future commitment to the Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada.
- Contact your lawyer or financial advisor and advise him/her about your desire to create a will or update your will to include a gift to Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada. Your professional advisor will be able to provide you with independent advice regarding your estate and will recommend options for your intended gift to Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada, which will be best suited to your needs and the needs of your loved ones.
- You will need to reference Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada in your will using our charitable registration number, which is 108076480-RR0001.
- Please contact Jane Durno (416.923.0924 x232 or email@example.com) if you or your advisor(s) have any specific questions.
- Once your legacy gift has been created, fill out our bequest confirmation form and return it to Jane Durno (416.923.0924 x232 or firstname.lastname@example.org) to let us know about your commitment and become a member of the Stand Up for Kids Legacy Society.
A bequest can include any type of property, such as a sum of money, securities, personal property or real estate. A bequest may also be a percentage of your estate or a portion of your estate once other bequests to loved ones are made, or it may be contingent upon surviving loved ones.
Specific bequest: A gift in a will that is of a certain amount of money, a piece of property, securities or other assets.
Sample wording: “I give to Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada (Charitable Registration No. 108076480-RR0001) currently of 25 Spadina Road, Toronto, Ontario, M5R 2S9, the sum of $____ to be used at the discretion of the organization.”
Residual bequest: A gift in a will that is a portion or all of the remainder of your estate after other bequests to loved ones have been made and all debts have been paid.
Sample wording: “I give to Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada (Charitable Registration No. 108076480-RR0001), currently of 25 Spadina Road, Toronto, Ontario, M5R 2S9, all (or ___%) of the residue of my estate, to be used at the discretion of the organization.”
Contingent bequest: A gift in a will that occurs only in the event that you are not survived by the other beneficiaries named in your will. These types of bequests are usually written to name Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada as an alternative beneficiary where it is not certain that your gift to your original beneficiaries may be carried out. For example, you would name Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada as the beneficiary in the event of a common disaster, or where there are no relatives.
Yes! Please notify Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada of your gift by completing the Bequest Confirmation form so we can thank you and recognize you accordingly. Through our Stand Up for Kids Legacy Society, we would like to recognize you for including the Foundation in your estate plans through a bequest or other planned gift.
Before you make a commitment to the Foundation in your will, we strongly encourage you to seek independent, qualified advice from your accountant, estate planner, and/or lawyer.